I don't always do what I'm supposed to do. (Smile.) I will say that I'm supposed to write about 5 specific ways blogging has affected me, either positively or negatively. I suspect most bloggers will say the same things..
- I started blogging as a way to express myself.. as a creative outlet. I used to have a traditional website on Tripod and although it was fun (and time-consuming!) it didn't get much exposure. I heard about blogging on a late night TV show and decided to check it out. I Googled places that host blogs and found Blogspot.
- I found myself drawn in to the Blogosphere more and more. Blogging pretty much took over my life. I cared more about page rank, hit counters, etc. more than I did about real life for a very long time. There were whole days pass where I did almost nothing more than refresh my blog and email. Pitiful, huh?
- I got pretty big-headed over all the attention. There was a time when my blog was darn near "famous." Misty told me once after I'd visited her blog that she felt like she had been visited by royalty. (Misty is silly like that.)
- Eventually I was able to adjust my thinking and correctly prioritize blogging in my life. (In large part thanks to emails back and forth with Hootin' Anni.) I set limits to my blogging time. I removed tons of fluff from my sidebars. I stopped caring about the hit counters and such.
- Blogging has provided me with the creative outlet I mention in #1. It has also connected me with the world. When I started my original blog back in August of 2006, I was agoraphobic and hardly ever left my house for fear of having panic attacks. Blogging was my way of connecting with others. I have discussed a wide variety of topics here including posting from time to time about painful memories of child abuse, struggling with mental and physical health issues. I was very surprised to find out so many shared my stories and thoughts and that I wasn't looked on as being a failure for not being perfect. I believe it was that support that helped me deal with and overcome some of those issues.
This post was brought to you by: adult diaper. Something I fear I may be needing before too much longer. (Laugh.)